67th Florida State
Square & Round Dance Convention

67th FLORIDA STATE SQUARE & ROUND DANCE CONVENTION – “Lighting the Way to Friendship & Fun in 2021”
March 18-19, 2021  
www.FloridaSquareDance.com

LIGHTHOUSE #46
Pensacola Lighthouse
“HAUNTED”

 

#46 Pensacola Lighthouse: The first Pensacola Lighthouse was not a house at all but a “Lightship” called the “Aurora Borealis” which had been moved from its post at the mouth of the Mississippi River to Pensacola in 1823. It was not until 1825 that a 40-foot tower was built at the south entrance to Pensacola Bay which was a bad idea as it was obscured by trees so in 1858 a new 150-foot tower was constructed on a 40-foot bluff on the then Pensacola Naval Station, it was painted all white. Sometime before 1860 the light in the tower went dark for reasons unknown.

 

Going back in history, at the start of the Civil War (1861), Pensacola was controlled by Confederate forces while across the bay Fort Pickens was controlled by the Union forces. Later the Confederate forces evacuated Pensacola and Union forces took over. In 1863 the Pensacola Lighthouse was relit and the upper 2/3rds was painted black and it remains so to this day, black on top and the lower white.

 

The “HAUNTING”

 

The “Haunting” centers around an early keeper of the Pensacola Light named Jeremiah Ingraham. He took his maintenance duties very seriously climbing the 177 stairs nightly toting a bucket of whale oil in each hand to fill the early lamps to keep them lit for the night. After 14 years of this grueling work he died but not from a broken back or heart attack but----- murder -----which is still a mystery to this day.

 

As most mysteries start – it was a dark and stormy night both outside and inside the lighthouse. Outside hurricane force winds howled while inside a violent verbal exchange was going on between the keeper and possibly his wife, (not known for sure if it was his wife or jealous lover). Each screaming and cursing as violent as the storm outside. After about an hour the brawling stopped amid a lot of pain like screams. “No-No” the keeper shouted, then complete silence! A short time later the lady dashed outside running in circles and sobbing uncontrollable, covered with blood. She was holding an ivory handled long bladed fisherman’s knife. Authorities found the keepers lifeless body in the upstairs bedroom, his blood collecting in a huge pool on the pinewood floor near the fireplace. After a complete investigation of the murder scene, a crew was sent in to do the nasty job of cleaning up the crime scene including the bloody mess by the fireplace but the next day the stain stilled showed. It was cleaned up again but the following morning it had returned, as it did day after day after day, and the smell also continued. Finally, the bedroom was closed off completely.

 

The woman pleaded self-defense even though the town officials were suspicious of her motives not to mention the violence of her act, they released her to return to the keepers’ dwellings. It is said at dawn the next morning she was performing the keepers’ duties of climbing the 171 stairs and filling the lamps with oil. The woman’s identity, unfortunately, has been lost to history.

Construction workers renovating the lighthouse after the tragic incidence reported hearing laughter, moaning, breathing and footsteps on the iron stairway. Some say they even saw a ghostly figure at the window of the locked door. Many other unusual sightings and noises have been reported over the past 125+ years since the murder. Weird horrid laughter from closed rooms. Happy laughter echoing in the hallways. Footsteps being heard on the metal steps with no one there. All doors locked at night only to be standing wide open the next morning and the instances go on and on. For the most part the lighthouse is cordoned off to the public but some tours are available.

 

The stain on the bedroom floor has been proven time and time again to be blood. It stubbornly refuses to budge no matter how hard it is scrubbed and with every know cleaner. It has even been sanded.

 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


Better start thinking seriously about making your hotel reservations for the State Convention. The HOST HOTEL is again the Homewood Suites on Bill France Blvd, Daytona Beach. They only have 20 rooms remaining available. Call 386-258-2828 and be sure you ask for the “Square Dancers Rate”. They offer a FREE BREAKFAST, too. AND this is the hotel where the After Party will be held, also. You can also check the Home2 Suites (386-400-2300) on Fentress Blvd should the host hotel be all booked. Again, ask for the “Square Dancers Rate”. The big hotel (Hilton) across the street from the Convention Center would not work with us on special dancer rates, so if you want to stay there you will pay full price and no free breakfast.

 

Camping: The Sunshine Holiday RV Resort in Ormond Beach is offering the square dances rate of $28.00 per night. Call 386-672-3045. For other camping venues contact our Camping Chairpersons Paul & Marilyn Scott at 904-264-9392 for a complete run down of places in the area.

 

For questions or to volunteer to help make this Convention another Big Success, contact Carol & Richard Douget at 410-952-7408. They are still searching for someone to plan the After-Party Entertainment and also the After-Party Treats (FOOD!!!!!)

Judy Anderson

Publicity

67th FLORIDA STATE SQUARE & ROUND DANCE CONVENTION – “Lighting the Way to Friendship & Fun in 2021”
March 18-19, 2021  
www.FloridaSquareDance.com

LIGHTHOUSES #42 THRU #45
Cape St. George Light, Cape San Blas Light
St. Joseph Point Light, St. Joseph Bay Light

 
#42  Cape St. George Lighthouse:  This brick Lighthouse stood for 153 years until it toppled into the Gulf of Mexico in 2005.  Over the years it had to be erected three (3) times.
    1st in 1833:  It was erected near the island’s western tip where it marked the narrow entrance to Apalachicola Bay, it stood 65 feet high.  However, because of the sharp bend in the coastline ships could not easily seen the if they were approaching from the eastern Gulf so appropriation money was issued to move and rebuild the lighthouse. 
    2nd in 1848:  Materials from the old tower were used for the new tower.  Although the foundation was of brick, a hurricane in 1850 weakened it and during the fourth hurricane of the 1851 Atlantic Hurricane Season it toppled in August of that year.
   3rd in 1852:  It was rebuilt 250 yards more inland, often using salvaged bricks from the original light.  This light was under Confederate control during the Civil War.
     In 1995 Hurricane Opal was so sever it caused the light to lean 10 degrees.  The tower was righted in 2002 but then it completely collapsed in October 2005.  Island Volunteers saw to it to be rebuilt in the middle of St. George Island and it is now open to the public.
 
#43  Cape San Blas Lighthouse:  This is another situation where four (4) lighthouses have been built over the course of several years.
   1st in 1848:  The Lighthouse was built on shoals running out from the Cape for 4.5 miles which made it dangerous  for all vessels nearing the coast as the light was not that tall and could not be seen well enough.  The lighthouse collapsed during a gale in the autumn of 1851.
   2nd in1856:  Unfortunately this light had been completed only a few months when it was destroyed by yet another sever storm, also in 1856. 
   3rd in 1858: This lighthouse sustained serious damage but not by storms but by Union troops that landed in 1862 during the Civil War.  Repairs were made and the light was re-established in 1865.  Beach erosion was of great concern for the stability of the lighthouse but no appropriations were made and soon storms again destroyed the lighthouse.
   4th in 1885:  This tower was a skeleton tower of iron with a light said to “light up the entire horizon”.   However, by 1887 the beach had started to take its toll but Congress decided the present site cannot be saved and wanted the lighthouse moved inland so it was rebuilt on near by Black’s Island in the early 1900’s.  It is still in operation.
 
#44  St. Joseph Point Lighthouse and
#46  St. Joseph Bay Lighthouse:  These two (2) lighthouses pretty much co-existed in the 1830’s.  The town of St. Joseph was founded in 1836. Also in 1836 the Legislative Council of the Territory of Florida petitioned Congress for a lighthouse to mark the entrance to St. Joseph Bay, it was approved but was built on St. Joseph Point becoming operational in 1839.  It was a white conical brick tower 55 foot tall.  The town of St. Joseph boomed and in 1838 hosted its Constitution Convention to lay the ground work for Florida to become a State.  However, in 1841 a ship brought yellow fever into the community.  Within a matter of weeks, the town of St. Joseph was almost deserted.  Two years later a hurricane with a huge tidal wave managed to destroy the city.  The city did not survive to see Florida become the 27th State in 1845.  The lighthouse did remain in service until 1847 when the light was extinguished and relite at Cape San Blas.  For over 50 years, St. Joseph was known as the “City of the Dead”, but people started to return to the area around the turn of the 19th century.  Eventually the City of Port St. Joe was established just a few miles from the original site of St. Joseph.
     In 1955 the old dwelling was sold to a private citizen who made it into a hay farm for cattle.  Again, the home was sold to its present owners who moved it about 20 miles to its new home site on St. Joseph Bay.  It is a private residence now, no visitors permitted, and is referred to as the “traveling lighthouse”.

 
   *       *       *      *
 

Advanced registration is well advised as entrance ribbons rates will be changing so get in on the lower cost as soon as you can.  Rates will be changing for September 1, 2021 thru December 31, 2021 to $40.00 for the full 2 day convention, single day price will be $25.00.  Then again on January 1, 2022 through to the Convention rates will be $45.00 for the full 2day convention with single day price of $25.00.   These prices are PER PERSON.    
 
Jenny Green, chairperson for the Ways & Means Committees, needs a few more chairmen in some areas that will sell entrance ribbons, raffle tickets for both the (2) Lighthouses and/or the beautiful hand-made quilt.  (To see pictures of these beautiful items go to the Florida Federation Website  and click on “Fund Raisers”.)   Jenny has lots of ribbons and lots of rolls of tickets for these door prizes.  On these prizes—you do not have to be present to win, just put your name and phone number on the tickets, drop into the appropriate container and Jenny will see that you get the item(s) won.  Contact Jenny at 863-287-5724 or
jgreen102286@gmail.com to volunteer to help in your area.
 
FAUX PAS IN MY LAST ARTICLE, PHONE NUMBER FOR CAROL DOUGET IS 410-952-7408.  (So embarrassed about this.  SORRY)  but please contact her with any suggestions or to volunteer in any way.

Judy Anderson

Publicity

67th FLORIDA STATE SQUARE & ROUND DANCE CONVENTION – “Lighting the Way to Friendship & Fun in 2021”
March 18-19, 2021  
www.FloridaSquareDance.com

 

LIGHTHOUSES #38 THRU #41
Cedar Keys Light, St. Marks Lighthouse
Dog Island Light, Crooked River Light

 
#38  Cedar Keys Lighthouse:  This Lighthouse is located across the harbor from Cedar Key on Seahorse Key, three (3) miles southwest of Cedar Key and was the site of a watchtower erected in 1801.  After the watchtower was destroyed by a Spanish naval force in 1802, it was used as a detention center for Seminole Indians captured in the Second Seminole War (1835-1842), to be held there before being transferred out West.  Cedar Key became an important port during the 1840’s and in 1850 Congress appropriated funding for a lighthouse on Seahorse Key which was completed and lit in 1854.  Federal troops occupied Seahorse Key in 1862 and used it as a prison for the duration of the Civil War.   The lighthouse building was tripled in size in 1905 when a U.S. Navy wireless station was established.  The light was taken out of commission in 1915.  The Cedar Key Lighthouse is the oldest standing lighthouse on the west coast of Florida.
 
#39  St. Marks Lighthouse:   Approximately 25 miles south of Tallahassee is Florida’s Big Bend region where the state’s Gulf coastline changes from a north-south direction to an east-west direction.  A river empties into the Gulf at this point and it was here that an early settlement was established by the Spanish.  In 1818, Andrew Jackson captured St. Marks from the Spanish, however, 3 years later control of Florida was officially transferred from Spain to the United States.  In 1828 a territorial delegate was sent to Congress to petition for construction of a lighthouse at St. Marks.  An act appropriating $6,000 for the construction of the lighthouse was passed.  The construction ended up costing $11,765 but the Collector of Customs refused to accept it since it was built with hollow walls.  A replacement tower was accepted in 1830. 

Under the 1832 Treaty of Payne’s Landing, Florida’s Seminole Indians were to relocate west of the Mississippi River by 1835.  However, the Indians refused to leave and the Second Seminole Indian War erupted and lasted for 7 years.  As the port of St. Marks was growing the land protecting the lighthouse was shrinking.    By 1842, erosion was threatening the tower so a new lighthouse was built farther inland, which still stands today.  The stout walls are 4 feet thick at the bottom and taper about 18 inches at the lantern room.   A breakwater was built to protect the lighthouse after a hurricane struck in 1843.  The tower was used by both sides during the conflict between the States.  After the end of the conflict, the tower was repaired and back in service by 1867.  In 2016, then Governor Rick Scott was instrumental in getting money allocated for the preservation on St. Marks Lighthouse.
 
#40  Dog Island Lighthouse:  The Dog Island Light was located on the western tip of Dog Island south of Carrabelle, Florida.  It marked the “middle entrance to St. George’s Sound,” between  St. George and Dog Island, during the 19th century, until its collapse by a hurricane in 1873.   The first lighthouse was a 50-foot brick tower and completed in 1839 but a storm in 1842 destroyed the keepers house and badly damaged the lighthouse tower.  A 40-foot wooden tower was completed in 1843 to replace the brick tower however the second tower was destroyed by a hurricane in 1851.  A replacement brick tower was completed also in 1851.  During the Civil War, Confederate forces burned the stairs in the tower and damaged the lens to prevent the tower from being used as a lighthouse or a watchtower.  The light was repaired and put back into service after the war.  In 1872 beach erosion undermined the tower and caused it to fall.  The lantern was salvaged and moved to the top of the keepers dwelling.  The in 1873 another hurricane destroyed both the tower and the keepers dwelling.  Congress appropriated funds for a replacement in 1874 but the local Lighthouse Board recommended that the new work be indefinitely postponed.  The Dog Island Light was never replaced.  However, the Crooked River Light (built near Carrabelle on the mainland in 1895) serves as a leading light for the same channel that was formerly marked by the Dog Island Light.
 
#41  Crooked River Lighthouse:  This lighthouse was originally constructed in 1895 to replace a nearby lighthouse on Dog Island that was destroyed in a coastal hurricane in 1873.  After many years of flawless service this lighthouse was officially decommissioned in 1995 and sat isolated and almost forgotten for several years but in 1999 a group of local residents created the “Carrabelle Lighthouse Association” and obtained ownership of the landmark.  Private and public funds helped commission the restoration that was completed in 2007.  The new skeletal tower lighthouse stand 103 feet tall and is the tallest lighthouse along the Florida Panhandle.
 
Things are starting to get more and more exciting as the State Convention draws closer and closer.  Even though March may seem like a long ways away—time seems to be moving faster and faster especially for our chairmen, Carol & Richard Douget. They are looking for a couple of volunteers for some really fun activities.  They are searching for someone or two or three or more friends to plan and make happen the ever-so-popular Dangle Dances.  The convention warehouse already has several containers of supplies used in previous years that would be a great start for new ideas or you can create your own new ones.  SusanElaine of SuzieQ Creations is great fun to work with in creating all those cutsie “FREE” fun dangles we all love to earn.
 
They are also in need of a Vendor/Assistant Chairmen for that committee who will work well with our vendors to help them with spaces for setting up their merchandise.  Making sure they have enough tables and chairs and other vendor needs.  This includes spaces for all future Local and National Conventions. 
 
Interested “fun” people can contact Carol at
cldcpa@yahoo.com  or  call 410-952-7408
 

Judy Anderson

Publicity

67th FLORIDA STATE SQUARE & ROUND DANCE CONVENTION – “Lighting the Way to Friendship & Fun in 2021”
March 18-19, 2021  
www.FloridaSquareDance.com

 

LIGHTHOUSES #33 thru #37
Port Boca Grande Lighthouse, Egmont Key Lighthouse
Mullet Key Lighthouse, Tierra Verde Lighthouse
Anclote Keys Lighthouse

 
#33 Port Boca Grande Lighthouse:  The construction of this lighthouse, in 1890, was so “house-like” it was once used as a home with a keeper.  The square building is only 44 feet high.  In the center of this structure is a staircase leading up to the light with living quarters circling around the staircase on the first floor.   The lighthouse went out of service in 1966 but was re-commissioned in 1986 and is still in service today.
 
#34  Egmont Key Lighthouse:  This Lighthouse is the next in line traveling north up the west coast of Florida.  This was Lighthouse #6 already written about and published in last August or September issues of your Square Dance Magazines.   
         As a refresher: it was built and lit in May of 1848 but damaged by a hurricane in September of that same year.  It was rebuilt in 1858.  In 1861 Union Troops occupied Egmont Key but destroyed the light when they were forced to leave.  It was relit after the Civil War in 1866.  As of 1990 it has been automated.
 
#35  Mullet Key Lighthouse:  This lighthouse was a 38 foot high structure built on piles.  Little is known about this light but it was active in 1912 with a single light and, per records, was still active in 1959, however it is non-existent today.
 
#36  Tierra Verde Lighthouse:  This is a very new lighthouse and can be seen across the channel from Egmont Key.  An official aid to navigation, it assists the Egmont Key Lighthouse in guiding ships into Tampa Bay. 
 
#37  Anclote Keys Lighthouse:  This lighthouse was lit on September 10, 1887, just a year after Tarpon Springs was settled.  The lighthouse went dark in the early 1900’s.  In 1953 it was automated then electrified in 1963.  Again, deactivated in 1985 it was relit in 2003 and it is still working to this day.
 
By now all of you have heard that the Florida State Convention is really a “sure thing”.  We will be dancing next year, 2022, on Friday (all day) March 18th and Saturday (all day) March 19th.  Although hotel and camping facilities and prices have not been completed they soon will be available so keep checking your local newsletter/magazine they will be the first to know.
 
Carol and Richard Douget, General Chairmen, have been working diligently trying to get their roster completed with workers that but still need a few more friends with yellow rocks to help in these committees: After Party Chairperson and someone to plan the After Party Entertainment.  In search for a Dangle Dance Chairperson, and Ways & Means Chairperson for these areas:  Northwest Area and Northeast Area and the West Coast Area.  These are all fun and easy committees so if you want to receive and share lots of yellow rocks contact Carol at 410-952-7408 or email her at
cldcpa@yahoo.com.

 

Judy Anderson

Publicity

67th FLORIDA STATE SQUARE & ROUND DANCE CONVENTION – “Lighting the Way to Friendship & Fun in 2021”
March 18-19, 2021  
www.FloridaSquareDance.com

LIGHTHOUSES #29 thru #32
Smith Shoal Light, Northwest Passage Lighthouse
Sanibel Island Lighthouse, Charlotte Harbor Lighthouse

 
#29  Smith Shoal Light:  Little is known about this Lighthouse except it was constructed in 1933 and was built to be unmanned.  It is one of the screw-pile lighthouses which stands approximately only 54 feet high.  Smith Shoal is northwest of Key West and a long way from anything.  It is still in service today.
 
#30  Northwest Passage Lighthouse:  This Lighthouse was delayed being built because of yellow fever among the workers and by unpredictable hard storms.  This lighthouse finally was completed in 1855, but the lighthouse was plagued from the very beginning by fires and by a myriad of hurricanes and, of course, the usual wood rot.  It was finally deactivated in 1921, 50 years before another big fire finished burning what was left from all the previous devastation.  It no longer exists. 
 
#31  Sanibel Island Lighthouse:  This Lighthouse was written about earlier but here is a brief synopsis - - In 1833 and 1856 and again in 1877 a Lighthouse Board requested a Light be built on the island but Congress kept declining.  It was not until after the Civil War that yet another petition was submitted to Congress stating that a lighthouse would cause a big increase in trade and that boaters and travelers would be able to visit the island more easily.  Finally, in 1883 Congress appropriated $50,000 for the project and the lighthouse was final started in February and lit in August of 1884.

        The lighthouse was built 112 feet above sea level with an external spiral staircase the lighthouse keeper had to climb to service the lamps.  There were no provisions for a keeper to live inside the structure but a small home was built beside the lighthouse for his needs.  There have been two recorded big hurricanes that struck the lighthouse but fortunately there was minimal damage either time.  The first recorded one was in 1944 where it is said that several residents and the keeper clung to the outside spiral staircase after the keepers’ home was destroyed – all did survive.  The second hurricane recorded was Charley in 2004 but predicted storm surges never materialized so nothing was lost. 
 
#32  Charlotte Harbor Lighthouse:  This Lighthouse was built and lit in 1890 and was a manned lighthouse until the end of World War 1 when the keeper and the assistant were dismissed. After a while, and since it was unoccupied for many, many years, it was torn down during World War 11.    

 

Judy Anderson

Publicity

67th FLORIDA STATE SQUARE & ROUND DANCE CONVENTION – “Lighting the Way to Friendship & Fun in 2021”
March 18-19, 2021  
www.FloridaSquareDance.com

 

LIGHTHOUSES #24 thru #28
Cosgrove Shoal Light, Pulaski Shoal Light
Rebecca Shoal Light
Tortugas Harbor Light & Dry Tortugas Lighthouse

 
#24  Cosgrove Shoal Light:  This is one of two Lights erected in 1935, the other one is the Pulaski Shoal Light.  Cosgrove Shoal Light, according to the Coast Guard records, is located about 20 miles southwest of Key West.  The light is said to stand between 48 and 54 feet tall and was assembled on “piles” which are rocky stones.  At the present time, the structure is painted red with a flashing white light with a range of 9 miles out.
 
#25  Pulaski Shoal Light:  This is the second light erected in 1935.  It stands only 49 feet tall.  The light was named after a Polish General, Casimir Pulaski, a hero who fought in the American Revolution.  It is located about 30 miles northwest of Key West.  At the present time, it is not known if the light is still operational.
 
#26  Rebecca Shoal Light:  This lighthouse was built in 1879 but was not lite until 1886.  It was a house-like structure on top on iron screw piles and had a black lantern at first.  When the light was automated in 1925, with a white light, it was determined that a “keeper’s quarters” would not be needed.  In 1953 the dwelling was demolished because it had deteriorated so badly however it was eventually replaced with a modern light tower again with no keepers’ dwellings, however Hurricane Charlie destroyed it completely and now no longer exist.
 
#27 & #28  Tortugas Harbor Lighthouse & Dry Tortugas Lighthouse:  The Tortugas were named by Ponce de Leon during his many exploration in 1513.  The first Lighthouse in the Dry Tortugas was at Garden Key but it no longer exists and is now referred to as the “Old Tower”.  The current light house at Fort Jefferson on Garden Key is referred to as the “New Tower”.  The Lighthouse is reported to stand 157 feet tall and it is painted white half way up and black to the top.  It was lite in July 1857.  It is still in existence and functional today.
 
Convention:   67th Florida State Square & Round Dance Convention scheduled for March 4 &5, 2022 is still in a “holding pattern”.   No definite decisions had been made by the Daytona Convention Center but we are still “INKED” in for those dates, so keep them open and in mind.   Please “INK” them in on your calendars as well.  
 

 

Judy Anderson

Publicity

67th FLORIDA STATE SQUARE & ROUND DANCE CONVENTION – “Lighting the Way to Friendship & Fun in 2021”
March 18-19, 2021  
www.FloridaSquareDance.com

 

LIGHTHOUSES #18 thru #23
East Washerwoman Light, Sombrero Key Lighthouse
Looe Key Light & American Shoal Lighthouse
Pelican Shoal Light, Sand Key Lighthouse

 

Our venue, the canceled/postponed Florida State Convention, is still in limbo.  Linda Tester, President of the Florid Federation, now has her committee inquiring about the status of the Convention Center and the possibility of still holding our 67th Florida State Convention the week-end of March 4 & 5, 2022.   So keep watching for current updated info in all our publications around the State.  Hopefully our State Convention will happen – as Tennessee Ernie Ford would say: “The good Lord willin’ and the creek don’t rise”. 
 
#18  East Washerwoman Light:  There are two scenarios’ as to how this light got its name.
One being that its agitation of small waves on the rocks looked like those of a washing machine.  The other is that clothes from a shipwrecked vessel washed up on the rocks. Not much is known about this light other than it stands 36 feet tall, it is unmanned and is painted white on the top and black around the foundation.
 
#19  Sombrero Key Lighthouse:  This Lighthouse stands 142 feet high and it went into service 1858, just before the Civil War.  It is said it was named Sombrero because of the hat a Spanish Missionary Priest wore back in 1743.    It has two platforms.  The lower one held the water and fuel tanks and a generator (after the light became electrified).  The second one held the quarters for the staff that originally ran the light.  Although the lighthouse is now unmanned, it is fully automated.
 
#20  Looe Key Light & American Shoal Lighthouse:  These two are being combined because they are only a short distance apart.  Looe Key was also named after a ship wreck, the
HMS Loo which crashed in 1744.  In 1826 a brick 30-foot beacon was built, however it lasted only 7 years, destroyed by hurricane.   Needing a lighthouse on a firmer foundation American Shoal Lighthouse was built a short distance away.  It was lit in 1880 with the keepers’ quarters 40 feet above the shoal.  It is unmanned but automated now.
 
#21  Pelican Shoal Light:  This light is relatively new, established in 1939 and then renovated in 1951.  An active light it stands in only 16 feet of water and is only 36 feet tall.  Not much more is known about this light.
 
#22  Key West Lighthouse:   This Lighthouse has already been written about.  See your copy of Bow & Swing’s June issue or check your own local publications June/July issues.   
 #23  Sand Key Lighthouse:  One of the few Keys not named after a ship wreck but rather because it was built on sand.  Englishmen left a “day” beacon at Sand Key in 1770 but it was a half century later before the lighthouse was built.  The 63-foot brick lighthouse lasted until 1846 when it was demolished by hurricane.  The second lighthouse was erected on coral and stands 132 feet tall.  Because of a fire it was deactivated in 1989, however it was reactivated in 1996 and is still operational today.

 

Judy Anderson

Publicity

67th FLORIDA STATE SQUARE & ROUND DANCE CONVENTION – “Lighting the Way to Friendship & Fun in 2021”
March 18-19, 2021  
www.FloridaSquareDance.com

 

LIGHTHOUSES #13 thru #17
Molasses Reef Light, Hens & Chickens Shoal Light
Alligator Reef Lighthouse, Tennessee Reef Light
Nine-Foot Shoal Light

 
As you can see by my articles, some are called “Lights” and some are “Lighthouses”.  This is kind of self-explanatory in that “Light” simply means there is no home/house to be lived in or a lighthouse keeper on the premises.  A “Lighthouse” has living quarters either built with the light above or adjacent to the lighthouse.  Most of the structures around the State of Florida are “Lights” as you will read in these articles.
 
#13  Molasses Reef Light:  This Light was erected in 1921 on a small reef 4.5 miles off shore and in only 9 feet of water.  This unmanned light was built in a pyramidal, hexagonal and skeletal shape looking similar to a pyramid with the flashing rotating light mounted on top.  There is no mention as to how this reef got its name. 
 
#14  Hens & Chickens Shoal Light:  This Light is the smallest of all the shoal lights and the only one built as a triangular pyramid on stone piles.  It stands only 35 feet high.  How it got its name is a mystery but it does appear on a chart of the Florida Keys back in 1871, no explanation given.
 
#15  Alligator Reef Lighthouse:  This Lighthouse’s information was the subject of my article published in the May issue of Bow & Swing, check it out but here is a little reminisce:  The reef and lighthouse were named after the USS ALLIGATOR, a ship that conducted successful missions against pirates in the early 1800’s.   It was built back in 1873 at a cost of $135,000 and stands 150 foot, the second highest lighthouse in Florida Keys.  It was built structurally sound as it has withstood several hurricanes over the years of its existence.
 
#16  Tennessee Reef Light:  It is told the reef most likely was named for a vessel lost in September 1832 but there is no actual recorded history of that event.  This Light was erected in 1935 in only 14 feet of water.  It is one of a very few ever painted black.  Although it is unmanned it still has a working lantern.   
 
#17  Nine-Foot Shoal Light:  Early in 1911 and 1912 only one person was assigned to keep this Light operational.  He was more of a “Lamplighter” than a “Keeper” as he did not maintain any residency at the light.  This Light, as so many others, is built teepee-like style, known as dolphin style (mentioned in some other articles) and stands only 18 feet tall.  It does mark one of the entrances into Marathon’s Boot Key Harbor.  The origin of its name is not known.
 Plans for the State Convention are still in a temporary “hold pattern” but that does not say that the Douget’s are not thinking about some of the planning stages.   Certainly as soon as this Covid-mess is reconciled more things will again get into full swing.  Until then, keep on wearing those masks, washing those hands, and social distancing, it will speed things along.  Prayers going out to everyone and we sincerely wish everyone an extremely pleasant, safe, and Happy Holiday Season.  Happy New Year, too

 

Judy Anderson

Publicity

67th FLORIDA STATE SQUARE & ROUND DANCE CONVENTION – “Lighting the Way to Friendship & Fun in 2021”
March 18-19, 2021  
www.FloridaSquareDance.com

 

LIGHTHOUSE #8 - #12

Fowey Rocks, Boca Chita, Triumph, Pacific, Carysfort

 

Since the State Convention has been POSTPONED until March 4th and 5th of 2022, there is plenty of time to write about all the great lighthouses around the Florida Keys area.  There are a total of 24 from the Cape Florida Lighthouse in the Miami area around the tip of Florida to the Sanibel Island Lighthouse.  There is not much excitement concerning some and others have an interesting past so starting with my number #8 Lighthouse.
 
#8  Fowey Rocks Lighthouse:  It is located only 7 miles southeast of Cape Florida Lighthouse, which is on Key Biscayne, and it was completed in 1878.  It stands 110 feet above the water and is octagon in shape.  Fowey Rocks is named for the Royal Navy frigate HMS FOWEY which was wrecked on a near-by reef in 1748.  Efforts to save the boat failed so it remains sunken but today its location is excellent for scuba diving.  The hurricane of 1935 washed away the first deck of the lighthouse but the tower did survive as did the light on top.  One of the early lighthouse keepers was Jefferson Browne who later became Chief Justice of the Florida Supreme Court.
 
#9  Boca Chita Lighthouse:  This is a “private” lighthouse owned by Mark C. Honeywell and is situated on a 29-acre island out in the Atlantic Ocean.  The island is also owned by Honeywell.  The light house has an estimated height of 65 feet but it does not have a working light.  This was strictly Honeywell’s “toy”.  
 
#10  Triumph Reef Light:  It is only 19 feet tall and is located just a few miles south of Fowey Rocks and just north of Carysfort Reef Lighthouse.  It is triangle-shaped and is set on a set of piles that connect at the top, like teepee poles, called a dolphin.  It was a lighted buoy between 1968 and 1977 but became a lighthouse sometime before 1982.  Little is known about this light.
 
#11  Pacific Reef Light:  This is a skeletal pyramidal, hexagonal, iron, screw-pile and was designed to operate unmanned.  It may be named for the vessel PACIFIC that wrecked on the East Key in the Dry Tortugas in 1857 although the light was not built until 1921.  The height from mean high water to focal plane is only 45 feet.  This tower is at sea and located just 3 miles southeast of Elliot Key but it is still within the Biscayne National Park.  The lantern room was removed from this light and is presently on dispay at the Founders Park in Islamorada Key.  Contrary to reports, this is an active light which can be seen for 9 miles.
 
#12  Carysfort Reef Lighthouse:  This lighthouse was also named after a shipwreck that happened back on October 1770, the HMS CARYSFORT, but the lighthouse was not built until around 1825 and was build using regular piles driven through “disks”.  It stands 112 feet tall.  The tower is a deep shade of red, made of iron, and is octagonal in shape in a skeletal design which allows the wind to pass through easily.  This design probably helped when the hurricanes happened.  It became operational in 1852 and is still operating to this day. 
 
The State Convention is still in a holding pattern as you can well expect until this nasty   Covid-19 stuff is under control.  All of us square dancers are frustrated at not being able to dance but, thankfully, there is still email, facebook, and the good ole “Ma Bell” that keeps us in touch at least a little bit.  The two (2) Lighthouses being given away are covered and safe as well as the beautiful Lighthouse Quilt.  It is likewise being kept in pristine condition.  Don’t worry if you have misplaced your raffle tickets, remember you filled out half of each ticket with your name and phone number so you are still eligible to win.
 
Another little reminder:  wear your MASK, wash your HANDS, keep SOCIAL DISTANCING, and call a LONG TIME-AGO FRIEND!  Surprise them, it’ll make their day as well as your own.

 

Judy Anderson

Publicity

67th FLORIDA STATE SQUARE & ROUND DANCE CONVENTION – “Lighting the Way to Friendship & Fun in 2021”
March 18-19, 2021  
www.FloridaSquareDance.com

 

LIGHTHOUSE #7
CAPE FLORIDA LIGHTHOUSE

 
Even though the Florida State Convention has been POSTPONED the chairmen, Carol & Richard Douget, have asked that I continued writing about the Lighthouses around the State of Florida just to keep the momentum going and keep the interest about what will be planned around this theme – LIGHTING THE WAY TO FRIENDSHIP AND FUN.
 
The Cape Florida Lighthouse is located at the southern end of Key Biscayne.  It was built in 1812 to protect shipping in the straits of Florida.  The first time the lighthouse was built it was 65 feet tall with wooden stairs.  In December of 1825 the lighthouse was lit for the very first time. 
 
In 1835 a major hurricane struck the island, damaging the lighthouse and destroying the keepers house.  The lighthouse keeper, Captain Dubose, moved his family to Key West for safety.  Assistant lighthouse keeper, John Thompson, remained to guard the light along with an African American handyman named Aaron Carter.  In 1836, the already much damaged lighthouse was attacked by a fearse band of Seminole Indians.  The two men did manage to flee into the lighthouse while being shot at, both were wounded.  The Indians kept firing into the structure which ignited the kerosene oil stored at the bottom.  The fire forced both the wounded and burning men up onto the lighthouses platform that ran around the light.  Carter eventually died of his wounds.  The Indians, after looting and burning the other buildings, left the next morning believing both men were dead.  Thompson survived but had no way to get down from the tower since the stairs were burned away.  A United States Navy schooner, the Motto, heard the explosion of a gun powder keg during the attack and over the next few days were able to rescue Thompson.  After this siege the Cape Florida Light remained extinguished from 1836 to 1846.
 
The tower and keeper’s quarters were ordered rebuilt in 1846.  It remains the oldest standing structure in Miami-Dade County.  The lighthouse was re-lit in 1847.  But in 1855 it was renovated again and 95 more feet were added to its height.
 
In 1861 the lighthouse was attacked again but this time by Confederate sympathizers after Florida seceded from the Union, it remained dark for the rest of that war.  In 1866 service was finally restored only to be discontinued, again, in 1878 when it was determined the light was not strong enough to warn ships away from the offshore reefs, its focal was only 100 feet, so that same year, 1878, a lighthouse was built on Fowry Rocks Reef, only 7 miles further south and was lit that same year.  The Fowry Rocks Reef has a focal of 15 nautical miles and is still operational to this day.
 
If you have any ideas or suggestions that you think would make this unusual convention’s format more interesting, please contact the Douget’s at 321-446-8593 or email
cldcpa@yahoo.com.
 
In the interim stay safe by wearing your masks when going out - always, wash those hands when you come back - always, smile even when it cannot be seen – always.  Surprise a friend by calling them, especially your single friends.   
 

Judy Anderson

Publicity

67th FLORIDA STATE SQUARE & ROUND DANCE CONVENTION – “Lighting the Way to Friendship & Fun in 2021”
March 18-19, 2021  
www.FloridaSquareDance.com

 

Everyone is aware by now that the 67th Florida State Square & Round Dance Convention has been POSTPONED – NOT CANCELLED – only POSTPONED!!!  But---the dates have been changed.  The 67th Florida State Convention will now be held on March 4th and 5th of 2022.  Everyone has agreed to remain on board and everything will remain the same.  Carol and Richard Douget have graciously agreed to continue chairing the convention and are carrying thru with their original theme: “LIGHTING THE WAY TO FRIENDSHIP AND FUN” featuring Lighthouses.
 
They wanted to convey that there is no need to worry about having bought items that are “dated” as they will be not reordering replacements until the present inventory runs out.  There are still plenty of shirts available – maybe they will become collector’s items, you never know.  Also, a reminder that if you have already purchased raffle tickets for the beautiful Lighthouse Quilt and/or the two (2) beautiful 5-foot Lighthouses don’t toss them away as the drawings will still be held at the convention in 2022, but also remember your name and phone number is on the ticket half that the Douget’s kept so you won’t lose out either way.
 
Hotel and camp ground reservations cannot be made now.  Most places will not accept reservation this far in advance even under normal conditions.  We will just have to wait to see what the future holds.  There will be more information in the ensuing months.  In the interim, please stay safe, as directed.  Wear your masks, as directed.  Keep social distancing, as directed.  Wash your hands, as directed.  And above all, keep in contact with your friends by phone, Facebook or email, let them know you’re thinking of them and wishing them well.  A little LOVE goes a long way---so spread a little L-O-V-E!!!

 

Judy Anderson

Publicity

67th FLORIDA STATE SQUARE & ROUND DANCE CONVENTION – “Lighting the Way to Friendship & Fun in 2021”
March 18-19, 2021  
www.FloridaSquareDance.com

 

LIGHTHOUSE  #6

EGMONT KEY LIGHT

 
Egmont Key is a small island in the Tampa Bay area.  It is known that Spain ruled the Florida area longer than the United States had been a country but it soon gave way to British rule.  It was under British rule that the Key was named.  It was named after the Earl of Egmont who was Lord of the Admiralty and a very prominent man in Brittan, John Perceval.
 
At the time the first lighthouse was being built (1848) a Colonel Robert E. Lee was making a survey of the southern bay coast and recommended some defensive works be built. That was when the first Lighthouse was put on the Key.   It lasted less than 6 months because a hurricane washed over it with huge 15 foot waves.  Needless to say, that was referred to as the GREAT HURRICAN of 1848.  Even though it was rebuilt there were many more valiant storms that took its toll on the structure second tower so it was dismantled in 1857.   A second tower built and lighted in 1858, this time it was constructed with 3-foot-thick brick walls and stands 90 feet tall. 
 
Before the second lighthouse was built the Seminole Indians were being forced to migrate to Oklahoma but they were relocated on Egmont Key for a while.  Their chief, Billy Bowlegs, was offered $200,000 to move his tribe westward voluntarily, he refused and lead an attack in Big Cypress instead which started the Third Seminole War.  It was this incident that eventually lead to the Indians now infamous “Trail of Tears”.
 
It was during the Civil War that the “light” was removed from the top of the lighthouse by the Confederates mostly to frustrate the Union Navy’s efforts to blockade Tampa Bay.   Early in the Civil War, Confederate blockade-runners used the island as a base.  Later it was captured (in July 1861) by the Union forces who used it as a base for attacks on the Confederate ships and other hostile positions in the Tampa area.
 
Egmont Key is steeped is so much early American history it would be very hard to give it justice.  The Spanish-American War, Second & Third Seminole Wars, Civil War, and even World War 1 and World War 2 are all etched in Egmont Keys History.  There are many books at your local library that would be worth while researching and enjoying.  Or a lot of this information here I found in “Florida’s Fabulous Lighthouses” book which you can order from Carol Douget, Convention Chairman.   They will be only $16.00 each now and I believe there are still 4 left.  Contact her at
cldcpa@yahoo.com or phone:  410-952-7408.  This is another “money-maker” for the 2021 Florida State Square Dance Convention.

 

Judy Anderson

Publicity

67th FLORIDA STATE SQUARE & ROUND DANCE CONVENTION – “Lighting the Way to Friendship & Fun in 2021”
March 18-19, 2021  
www.FloridaSquareDance.com

 

LIGHTHOUSE  #5
SANIBEL ISLAND LIGHT

 
Sanibel Island Light is located on the eastern end of the small 12-mile-long island across the mainland of Florida’s Gulf coast from Punta Rassa.  It is now connected to the mainland by a causeway bridge built in the 1960’s.
 
As early as 1833 the residents of Sanibel petitioned for a lighthouse to be built but Congress took no action at that time.   And again, in 1856, the Lighthouse Board requested a lighthouse be built, again, Congress took no action.   Then in 1877 a group of government workers surveyed the eastern end of the island.  This time these government workers “reserved” a section of the land for the lighthouse project – but – again no action.   It was not until after the Civil War that yet another petition was submitted to Congress stating that a lighthouse would cause a big increase in trade and that boaters and travelers would be able to visit the island more easily.   Finally, in 1883 Congress appropriated $50,000 for the project and the lighthouse was finally started in February 1884.  It was lit for the first time in August of 1884.
 
The lighthouse is built 112 feet above sea level using an iron skeleton-type tower.  It has a focal plane of 98 feet.  There is an external spiral staircase which the lighthouse keeper had to climb to service the lamps when needed.  There were no provisions made for the keeper to live inside the structure, however, a small home was built beside the lighthouse for his needs. 
 
There have been two recorded big hurricanes that struck the lighthouse but fortunately there was minimal damage either time.  The first recorded one was in 1944 where it is said that several residents and the keeper clung to the outside spiral staircase after the keepers’ home was destroyed –  all did survive.  The second hurricane recorded was Charley in 2004.  The predicted forecasted storm surge of 13 feet never materialized so nothing was lost.
 
The State Convention is still being planned for Friday and Saturday, February 19 & 20 at the Daytona Beach Convention Center.  There are several great different money making ideas being planned.  Of course, there is the usual souvenir shirt, red, with the convention lighthouse logo.  Then there will be the two 5-foot-tall wooden Lighthouses to be raffled off.  Pictures and tickets of these will be distributed to each area soon along with more raffle tickets for the beautiful handmade quilt featuring 10 of “Florida’s Fabulous Lighthouses”.   “Florida’s Fabulous Lighthouses” is the title of the coffee-table book where I have taken excerpts for these articles, there are some for sale also.
 Stay safe, wash your hands, practice social distancing and PRAY – PRAY – PRAY

 

Judy Anderson

Publicity

67th FLORIDA STATE SQUARE & ROUND DANCE CONVENTION – “Lighting the Way to Friendship & Fun in 2021”
March 18-19, 2021  
www.FloridaSquareDance.com

 

LIGHTHOUSE  #4
KEY WEST LIGHTHOUSE

 
Here’s an interesting little tidbit I read about:   Ponce de Leon sailed to the Keys in 1521 and named them “The Martyrs” because he thought they looked like “long suffering human beings”.  Fortunately, that name did not last.
 
The original Key West Lighthouse was built in 1825, by the Federal Government, a short four years after Spain ceded it to the United States.  The waters off the Florid Keys were so perilous that salvaging goods from the many wrecked ships was the major lively hood of its people.  In 1825 Congress authorized the building of a lighthouse in Key West.  The original lighthouse, sitting on nothing but sand, was destroyed in the Great Hurricane of 1846, many lives were lost as some of the residences took shelter in the lighthouse.
 
Work on the current tower was started in 1847 but funding was so slow that the lighthouse didn’t get finished until 1849, even though at that time it was considered “state of the art” in design.  The people thought it was so beautiful they were anxious to see it completed.  This new lighthouse was built on one of the highest points in Key West, Whitehead Point, and stood 60 feet tall.  It was powered by 15 oil lamps.  The initial focal plane was 67 feet above sea level.  An additional 26 feet was added to the lighthouse in 1894 thus raising the focal plane to 91 feet.
 
At that time the Key West Lighthouse was one of the few lighthouses in the South that remained in the hand of the U.S. Government thought out the Civil War.  Thus, during the war it served to help the Union warships navigate the waters around Key West as they came and went from the naval station there.
 
The Key West Lighthouse remained in operation until 1969 when it was declared obsolete and was deactivated.  The tower was transferred to Monroe County in 1972 and subsequently leased to the Key West Art & Historical Society.
 
Here’s another little tidbit of information:  U.S. Highway #1 STARTS in Key West, Florida and ENDS in Fort Kent, Maine, not the other way around, a distance of 2,369 miles.  U.S. #1 does continue into Canada.
 
There is not much to report this month about the upcoming 2021 Florida State Convention because our Chairman, Carol Douget, had been restricted from flying back to Florida from Maryland.  She had flown up there the beginning of March to be with her sister, who was hospitalized (non-Virus related) but when it was time to fly back the airlines were shut down (that WAS Virus related) so she could not return – HOWEVER – that ban has just been lifted and she may be home now.  I do know that the two (2) Big Lighthouses that are being raffled at the convention have been completed.  (There was an unfinished one at this years convention.)  Richard said they are both painted and ready to grace the lucky winners’ yards.  There will be pictures in upcoming magazines/flyers so be on the look-out for them.  I know you will want one at your home for sure.

 

Judy Anderson

Publicity

67th FLORIDA STATE SQUARE & ROUND DANCE CONVENTION – “Lighting the Way to Friendship & Fun in 2021”
March 18-19, 2021  
www.FloridaSquareDance.com

 

LIGHTHOUSE #3
ALLIGATOR REEF LIGHTHOUSE

 
Interesting facts I will share as we travel around the State of Florida about our Fabulous Lighthouses will be distances between, where they are located, historical information and just curious things to know.  For instance:  our last stop was Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse, there is only one other lighthouse between Jupiter and Miami – Hillsboro Inlet Lighthouse.   The next lighthouse is not until we reach Miami, the Cape Florida Lighthouse but from there to Key West there are 17 structures.  Not all are on land, some were built on reefs, some on sand bars and some on piles of rocks.
 
Traveling south on US #1 from Miami to my next write-up, Alligator Reef Lighthouse, there are 7 lighthouses – most of which are built on reefs, (Alligator being one), 2 on land and 1 on rocks.  There are names like Fowey Rocks, Bobo Chila, Molasses Reef, Hen and Chickens.  But Alligator Reef sounded interesting to me.  There are no alligators there and the reef is not shaped like one either.  It was named for a ship, the USS ALLIGATOR.  This ship successfully conducted missions against pirates in the early 1800s but, sadly, was lost when it ran on the reef in 1822.  However, the crew was so dedicated to keep the ship from falling into pirates’ hands, they actually destroyed it.  It is said the ship still lies on the shallow bottom near the reef.
 
This lighthouse is 150 feet, top to bottom, with a focal plane of 136 feet of light, per official Coast Guard viewings.  Built in 1873 at a cost of $135,000, an almost unheard of amount of money in those days, it is extremely structurally sound as it weathered the infamous Labor Day Hurricane of 1935 with winds gusting from 200 to 250 miles per hour and with seas surging 30 or more feet above normal.  It has been reported that over the years some brave lighthouse keepers even lashed themselves to the structure to avoid being washed away by hurricanes.   Now that’s dedication.
 
And it is with this same dedication that Carol and Richard Douget are going ahead with their plans for the 2021 State Convention, Lighting the Way to Friendship & Fun.   It will still take place in Dayton Beach at the Daytona Ocean Center, same place as last year, on February 19 & 20, 2021.  We all pray and hope this nasty virus will be gone long before then and that square and round dancing will once again be the high-light of our fun.  There will be more news about the activities being planned as well as the “how-to’s” in the upcoming months.  In the meantime-----please bump elbows, keep social distancing and smile behind your masks!

 

Judy Anderson

Publicity

67th FLORIDA STATE SQUARE & ROUND DANCE CONVENTION – “Lighting the Way to Friendship & Fun in 2021”
March 18-19, 2021  
www.FloridaSquareDance.com

 

LIGHTHOUSE #2
JUPITER INLET AT JUPITER BEACH

 
The name “Jupiter” is quite old.  It predates the arrival of the Europeans.   Native Americans called the area Jobe but some English cartographers decided that it looked like Jove, the main god of the pagan Roman pantheon and renamed it Jove which eventually got translated into Jupiter.
 
The original lighthouse was to have been built 2 miles north of Fort Jupiter in the early 1830’s to be used as an aid for coastal navigation and to bring supplies to the Fort, however the project was abandoned because of the Second Seminole War.  Congress, finally in 1853, authorized the building of a new lighthouse and in 1854 the new (and present) site was selected.   But construction was not easy.  It had been slowed by shifting sands and a Third Seminole War and then it became non-operational for a period of time.  Rebel partisans disabled the lens so that the light could not function and it did not for over a year.  As time passed the lens was restored and the Lighthouse was finally relighted in July 1860 on the eve of the Civil War.
 
During the war a Captain James Armour helped guide the Union soldiers who found and retrieved the missing lens and put the light back into service.  And he served the next 42 years as the lighthouse keeper.  Amour also helped the Union Navy capture Confederate blockade runners heading from Jupiter and the Indian River Inlet to Nassau.
 
Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse is 108 feet tall with a focal plane of 146 feet – focal plane is how far the light is visible out in the ocean.  The Coast Guard indicates the height from “mean high tide to the focal plane” is 146 feet.  Thanks to the lighthouses elevation it may be seen about 20 miles or more at sea by low riding boats.  Aircraft and taller boats will see it much sooner.  The elevation is thanks to the Native Americans who had created a mound of shells on which the Lighthouse stands. 
 
More interesting facts about the Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse can be found in the book “Florida’s Fabulous Lighthouses” where I found the excerpts above.  The book can be purchased from Carol Douget, Convention Chairman.  Contact her at
cldcpa@yahoo.com.

Even though there is the scare of the VIRUS going around, you should still be thinking of getting your ribbon(s) for this convention early, before May 31, 2020, while they are still $35.00 for the weekend.  Let Carol Douget or Linda Reid, registration chairman, (
reid20@bellsouth.net) know if you or any of your clubs would like registration forms.

 

Judy Anderson

Publicity

67th FLORIDA STATE SQUARE & ROUND DANCE CONVENTION – “Lighting the Way to Friendship & Fun in 2021”
March 18-19, 2021  
www.FloridaSquareDance.com

 

LIGHTHOUSE #1
CAPE CANAVERAL AT CAPE CANAVERAL

 

     Since the theme for the next convention is “Lighting the Way for Friendship and Fun in 2021” and their logo is a Lighthouse, I decided to write about the many lighthouses around the State of Florida, there are some 50+ all around the perimeter.  I will be starting at Cape Canaveral heading south, around the Keys and back up the other side and, of course, there  are quite a few around the shoreline of the Panhandle.  Then jumping across the state from Pensacola Lighthouse to Amelia Island and down to Ponce de Leon Lighthouse ending in Daytona Beach.

     In the 1600’s Spanish explorer, Ponce de Leon gave the area the name of Caba de las Corrientes (Cape of Currents) which became Canaveral but was renamed Cape Kennedy after our President was assassinated in 1963.  Some people did not like the change.  In 1973 the name of Cape Canaveral was restored by an act of the Florida legislature.
 
     The first lighthouse was erected in 1848, 3 years after we became a State but prior to the Civil War.   The first lighthouse was too short and not bright enough, only 60 feet tall.  Boats couldn’t see the light until they were already wrecked on the Southeast Shoals.  In 1850 the lighthouse was shut down because of the warring Seminoles.  In 1868 a new lighthouse was built and was 151 feet tall which made it tall enough for mariners to see the light.  This new light stood for 26 years until erosion threatened it and it was moved to its present site where it remains today.
 
     In July of 1853, Captain Mills Burham was appointed the lighthouse keeper where he served for 33 years.  After his death in 1886, his wife Mary and his oldest daughter were the lighthouse keepers until sometime into the 20th century.   The lighthouse is now owned by the U.S. Air Force.   It is maintained by the Coast Guard, as all lighthouses are. 
 
     The Convention is just starting to roll along and is gaining momentum.  If you purchase your ribbons by May 31st, the price is $35.00 for the weekend.  Our registration chairman, Linda Reid, reminds you to make checks to “67th F S D C” and mail to 1062 Old Millpond Road, Melbourne, FL 32940.
 
     Excerpts from the above article are from “Florida’s Fabulous Lighthouses”.  This book can be purchased from Carol Douget, Chairman of this Convention.   It is one of the “money maker projects”.  Send inquires to her at
cldcpa@yahoo.com.

 

Judy Anderson

Publicity


Please call or e-mail

Judy Anderson

for more information
Convention Home Page

Website Design Bruce Morgan